MARCUS TAN KIAN HAN, MANAGING PARTNER
• Diploma in Business Administration (Merit), Tunku Abdul Rahman College
• Bachelor of Laws (Honours), University of London
• Certificate in Legal Practice, Malaysia Legal Profession Qualifying Board
• Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya (2015)
• Advised and assisted Malaysian client to conclude a sale and purchase of shares worth RM20 million involving a shopping complex situated in Klang Valley
• Advised a local fashion-technology combined practice company to conduct internal corporate restructuring and the preparation of listing exercise to LEAP market
• Advised a local medical-aesthetic combined practice group to conduct internal corporate restructuring and the preparation of listing exercise
• Advised a Malaysian technology company on the issuance of 1 billion cross border digital asset
• Advised a Malaysian company on the acquisition of unlisted shares of a company in US worth $20m above
• Advised a company listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad and its subsidiary on the issuance of blockchain-based digital asset wallet and application as a recognised market operator to the Securities Commission
• Advised a foreign company on the application of credit token license, money broker license and investment bank license to the Labuan Financial Services Authority including its compliance of laws and corporate governance
• Director of Wolvez Capital Pte Ltd, a Singapore corporate finance advisory company which has acquired a licensed venture capital company in Malaysia regulated under the Securities Commission
• Director of Roundtable Consultancy Sdn Bhd, an affiliate with Marcus Tan & Co. that provides corporate secretarial services and supports to both private and public companies
• Director of NowMe Sdn Bhd, the first live streaming e-commerce online platform in South East Asia that provides live broadcasting services for social influencers and artists with the fusion of e-commerce selling activities on the platform operating in both Malaysia and Indonesia
• Malaysia E-Commerce Association, Legal Adviser
• Sarawak E-Commerce Association, Legal Adviser
• Malaysia International Fintech Foundation, Legal Adviser
• South-East Asia Commerce Association, Committee Member & Legal Adviser
• Johor, Muar Kun Seng Keng Lion Dance Association, Legal Adviser
Marcus started off his legal career in 2011 by gaining practical experience in a litigation department of prestigious boutique legal firms in Kuala Lumpur. Among others, he was involved in the infamous Batang Kali Massacre suit’s legal team initiated by the representatives of 24 unarmed civilians against the British Government whom were killed by the British Scot Guards during the Malayan Emergency, drug trafficking, terrorist and others.
With his experiences in litigating commercial and corporate dispute in the courts of law involving pre-IPO and public listed as well as unlisted companies such as minority oppression, shareholders and directors dispute, he also advises corporate entities on corporate finance, business restructuring, off-shore transaction, corporate conveyancing transaction, take over, merger & acquisition and drafting of corporate agreements.
Marcus heads the consultation and legal compliances of various foreign ICO and digital token and assets (cryptocurrency) trading platform (exchanger) locally. He represents and assists clients in technology laws related legal matters such as issuance of ICO, compliance of foreign and local digital assets trading platform’s internal guidelines for listing of tokens, advisory on compliance of laws and structuring of KYC / e-KYC etc for fintech companies and the application of blockchain. Marcus also headed the completion and submission of application for digital asset exchange operator to the Securities Commission for technology corporate client.
He often dispense legal advices on commercial compliances framework to the Small Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Malaysia, in particularly on the Companies Act, Anti Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act (AMLA), Contracts Act, Financial Services Act (FSA), Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA), cyber laws and other corporate related laws. He conducts seminars and workshops on corporate law related issues. He is also the guest speaker DJ for various medias’ legal talk show such as AiFM, 988 FM, NTV7 and etc.
He was a featured speaker for various major corporate and technology conferences such as Blockchain Solutions Asia 2018, ASEAN Legal Alliance Conference 2018, Malaysia International Logistics & Warehousing Solutions Exhibition 2018, Malaysia E-Commerce Expo. Besides that, Marcus is a legal guest for various online and offline media such as 988FM, AiFM, CityPlus FM, NTV7, TV3, Nanyang Siang Pau and legal author and writer for local printed media, Sin Chew Jit Poh for pro-bono legal advisory. He is also a visiting lecturer at various local universities and colleges for emerging technology, new media and corporate and commercial laws.