DAVID TAN CHIK TIAM, PARTNER
Qualifications / Panels:
• Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Law & Economics, University of Keele, United Kingdom
• Certificate in Legal Practice, Malaysia Legal Profession Qualifying Board
• Admitted as Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya (2001)
• Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors of the Senior Courts of England & Wales, United Kingdom (Non-Practicing)
• Admitted as Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Sabah & Sarawak (Non-Practicing)
• Certificate in Project Management and Contract Administration (Distinction)
• Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health Officer (NIOSH)
• Panel Arbitrator of the Asian International Arbitration Centre (formerly KLRCA)
• Panel Adjudicator of the Asian International Arbitration Centre (formerly KLRCA)
• Concluded construction related contracts & subcontracts, supply of materials, EPCC, maintenance contracts, development agreements and other related contracts worth in excess of RM3 billion involving construction of buildings, roads, convention centre, infrastructure projects and other related projects
• Involved with Arbitration dispute resolution since 1999
• Acted as Adjudicator to resolve construction disputes
• The Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (Fellow)
• The Malaysian Society of Adjudicators (Fellow)
• Inns of Court Malaysia (Member)
• Legal adviser of various organisations
David has obtained his law degree from the University of Keele in the United Kingdom and admitted to the Roll of Solicitors of the Senior Courts of England & Wales. He has also been previously admitted as Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Sabah & Sarawak.
Before practising law as an advocate & solicitor of the High Court of Malaya, he has joined the legal work force in a few public-listed companies as in-house counsel with vast experiences in the area of Construction Law including drafting joint venture agreements, construction contracts and development agreements worth billions of Ringgit Malaysia, and dispute resolution including litigation, adjudication and arbitration. Prior to his legal practice, he held the position of Legal Manager in Ho Hup Construction Company Berhad and Bina Puri Construction Sdn Bhd (subsidiary of Bina Puri Holdings Berhad).
David has extensive and vast experiences in construction and project management. He then decided to venture into the area of construction arbitration and adjudication and assisted numerous property developers, construction companies and project management consultancy firms in arguing and winning arbitration or adjudication cases. He advises local and foreign construction companies in construction matters and CIPAA related matters. With his vast experience in the construction industry, he is able to handle construction technical disputes.
He is currently the Panel Arbitrator and Panel Adjudicator of the Asian International Arbitration Centre (formerly KLRCA), Fellow of the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (F.MIArb), Fellow of the Malaysian Society for Adjudicators (FMSAdj), Fellow of the Asian Institute of Alternative Dispute Resolution (FAIADR) and many others.